Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Julie and Julia : 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen







I found this book in a kinda round about way. A couple of years ago, I found Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, at an estate store in Lynchburg. Julia Child herself is a classic, so I was excited about my find.

Little did I know, that during this same time period Julia Powell was embarking on a year long pursuit of cooking her way through Julia Child's classic. She started a blog and entitled her quest "the Julia/Julia project." Each day she took to her blog and talked about her accomplishments and disappointments.

Now I find myself curling up each night and reading about Julia's year long quest. A quest I knew nothing about when I picked up MTAOFC a couple of years ago and placed it on my shelf. I have come to learn that Julia Child's 1961 classic is actually a rare find and goes for way more than the $1 I paid for it.

Julia's story is inspiring, because it's more than just cooking through an old cookbook. Its about having the ability to change your life with one single decision and committing to something not knowing where it might take you - and that's half the fun.
On a side note, the book is being made into a movie with Meryl Streep and Amy Adams. Needless to say, I can't wait for that!




1 comment:

Jen said...

This sounds interesting. Something I may need to read. Sense I'm going through a life change myself.